Saturday 7 April 2012

Spring Vegetable Minestrone

Spring Vegetable Minestrone
Another quick post today, and yes I do realise I haven't done a pie or a pudding for a while. Normal service will resume asap. Saying that, this was a real surprise in its beauty and simplicity. Serves 4.

Ingredients:
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, peeled and finely diced
1.5 litres vegetable or chicken stock
150g small pasta or spaghetti snapped into small piece
loads of mixed green veg. I'm not going to give weights, because, to be honest, I didn't weigh anything. Basically use a couple of handfuls of things like courgette, green beans, peas, broccoli.
1 red chilli, finely diced
4 tsp green pesto
grated parmesan cheese to garnish

Method:
1. Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onion and chilli and sweat gently for 5-10 minutes, without colouring.
2. Add stock, bring to the boil then simmer.
3. Add the pasta and cook for 10 minutes. With 5 mins remaining start adding the veg (beans first, then peas, the courgette and broccoli). You want everything to be cooked at the same time.
4. Divide soup between bowls and top with a tsp of pesto. Grate fresh parmesan over the top.

3 comments:

  1. I made this last night. Substituted the pasta for rice noodles which worked well. I used fresh veg stock which was a little bland so would use chicken stock next time - or bouillon powder as Dazza advised. However, still very nice and super easy, and will be adding some bacon to the leftovers tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna, if I had my way I think I'd probably add bacon to most dishes. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my christ...the bacon worked a treat! Bacon is the future.

    ReplyDelete